Welcome to my website! The site is designed to provide easy access to my books, blog, journal articles and white papers. The content on the site is updated at least once a week, as my blog posts come out every Friday. Other site pages will be updated as new articles, white papers and books appear.
Most of my work has an investment focus, at least in the broadest sense. Good investors – those who preserve and grow their capital across the decades and generations – are educated investors. Whatever aspect of the investment process they are working on, they know the difference between best investment practices and whatever everybody else is doing. This site is designed to help you be that informed investor.
Here is a quick snapshot of what’s on the site:
- My bio. In short, I’ve been advising very substantial investors since 1979. Many of the clients I work with today are the grandchildren of the folks I started with way back when. You can check out Greycourt, the company I founded, here.
- My blog. A new post appears every Friday. As noted, the blog has an investment focus, but I interpret that very broadly. So far there are nearly 200 posts, i.e., almost four years’ worth of the blog. If you would like to receive the blog via email (it’s free), you can do so here.
- My books. I’ve published three investment books, a book of poetry, and I’ve edited two other books. More to come!
- Articles. I’ve published scores of articles over the years, including articles in refereed journals, white papers, and newspaper and magazine articles.
I hope you find the site useful and interesting. Please let me know what you think by contacting me here.
Recent Blog Posts…
- My checkered performance during l’Affaire de la Limousine had apparently put me in the Copperweld-Imetal doghouse, because I received no more assignments on that matter for a long time. I’d nearly forgotten about the takeover when I received a call from the secretary to the head of the litigation group … read more »
- As I entered the huge corner suite occupied by the head of the litigation group I strolled by his secretary’s desk saying, “I assume he’s expecting me.” “Not likely,” she said. “He’s in New York.” I stopped dead. “But…” I stammered. “He doesn’t want you – I do. Do you … read more »
- I had passed the bar exam and was working for a very large law firm in Pittsburgh. I was still so new I would get lost on my way to the men’s room. But it was wildly exciting for a working class kid from a dying mill town to be … read more »
- The Sharpe ratio is oversold. William F. Sharpe If the Sharpe ratio didn’t exist, I swear the financial industry would have to shut down. Originally developed by William F. Sharpe in the 1960s – he called it the “reward-to-variability ratio” – Sharpe first described the ratio in a paper published … read more »
- The founding of the People’s Republic of China marked the end of the humiliation and misery the country has suffered. Chinese President Xi Jinping Most people who advocate pacifism do so out of revulsion against the horrors of war, certainly an understandable, if utopian, position. But China’s Neo-Confucians adopted their … read more »